[SI-LIST] Re: ESD failure - need advise

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 16:20:27 -0700

CM ESD energy is converting to DM noise.  Your flex cable should be an
immediate suspect.  That said, you could suffer from any of the many
ills that Doug Smith regularly writes about.

Going after the problem with software now that the product has already
been designed is probably not a very productive approach. Software is a
good way to test ideas and assess risk while you are still making design
decisions.  If you go the software route now, it will after you learn to
use it and get your models set-up properly tell you what you already
know:  Your design fails.

Steve.
On 9/23/2014 3:48 PM, Ramesh N wrote:
> Hello Experts,
> Greetings!!!
> we are having ESD fail (in regulatory testing) in one of our design.
> It's simple wireless DAQ system with 2 boards [controller PCB + LED/Sensor
> PCB]. FPC cable (5") is used as interconnect.Package is abs plastics.
> Light-pipe is used for the for led indication. When +8kV is applied through
> air discharging, inadvertent LED trigger occurs . Randomly, system is also
> hanging when multiple zapping applied (especially for 8kV voltage level).
> I have tried to limit airgaps, added filter caps, etc but issue is not
> entirely solved.
>
> Is there any ESD simulation/analysis tool available for addressing this
> failure analysis?
> Any help/debug tips related to this would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Ramesh

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
1580 Grand Point Way
MS 34689
Reno, NV  89523-9998
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2013 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: