[SI-LIST] ESD failure - need advise

  • From: Ramesh N <n.rameshhwde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 04:18:11 +0530

Hello Experts,
Greetings!!!
we are having ESD fail (in regulatory testing) in one of our design.
It's simple wireless DAQ system with 2 boards [controller PCB + LED/Sensor
PCB]. FPC cable (5") is used as interconnect.Package is abs plastics.
Light-pipe is used for the for led indication. When +8kV is applied through
air discharging, inadvertent LED trigger occurs . Randomly, system is also
hanging when multiple zapping applied (especially for 8kV voltage level).
I have tried to limit airgaps, added filter caps, etc but issue is not
entirely solved.

Is there any ESD simulation/analysis tool available for addressing this
failure analysis?
Any help/debug tips related to this would be very helpful.

Thanks and regards,
Ramesh

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: