[SI-LIST] EMI/EMC Test

  • From: <sunil.mekad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:34:17 +0530

Hi Everyone,

I believe EMI issue and SI are closely related, hence, I am putting forth a
question in this forum. Appreciate if anyone can throw some light on this. Here
it goes:

1. What is the bandwidth of frequency that we should consider for a EMI system
testing (I understand that this depends on the "class" of testing and system in
question). Assuming a system has multiple 10G ports and XAUI lanes then what
would be max frequency I need to test to safely bet that I have covered the
worst case EMI emission?

2. In case I find that the system fails EMI test then Is it possible to narrow
down to a specific locations on the board to isolate the issue? Does the
frequency at which the test fails give me any clue?? Are there any tools that
can assist us with such information. Because if the system is too big with
multiple ports then it is dififcult to isolate and fix the problem!

Going back to one other discussion on this forum (Microstrip/Stripline for
multi-gigabit systems), some gurus were of the opinion that Microstrip is
better for the high speed traces than stripline. How does one control EMI
issues with high speed traces on top?

Thanks in anticipation

Sunil Mekad

contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
any attachments.

check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company
email.

www.wipro.com

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: