[SI-LIST] Re: EMC, Frequency or edge

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cchalmers@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 09:09:07 -0400

Chris,

The bandwidth that you calculate from the rise or
fall time determines the frequency point below which
the spectral envelope falls with 20dB/decade, and
above which it fall with 40dB/decade.  Within the
signal bandwidth, the level of the Nth harmonic is
(at least) N times lower than the level of fundamental
component.  If everything else stays the same, and
you change the clock frequency from 50MHz to
25MHz, the level of harmonics at a fixed frequency
will be two times lower, because to get to the same
absolute frequency, now you have to go to twice the
number of harmonics (N increases by a factor of two).

I hope this clears the confusion.

Regards,
Istvan
SUN Microsystems