[SI-LIST] Re: EMC

  • From: "Chris McGrath" <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 05:35:14 -0800

The "ground filling" is a topic that has been discussed at my company
recently and I wanted to get the list's feedback on why this is done.
We never do ground filling on any layers and the only reason that I have
ever heard for it was to reduce EMI, but given the disadvantages
(increased thermal profile, potential for crosstalk, PCB viewer and
gerber viewer complications, etc.) and the fact that I have never been
able to find data or any science to back up the EMI argument, I don't
see any benefit to ground filling on signal layers.  (Of note is that by
using the term "ground filling", I am not referring to "thieving" to
equalize the copper distribution to facilitate PCB fabrication.)

I am very interested in hearing feedback from any of you.

-Chris

List archives are viewable at: