[SI-LIST] Re: EMC

  • From: "Michael E. Vrbanac" <vrbanacm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vinu@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:14:24 -0600

Hi, Vinu,

Yes, radiation from such structures is possible but for the most
part it would improbable given some simple, reasonable design
practices.  The most likely scenario would be when both planes had
casual, indirect reference to system ground.  Being power planes that's
not usually the case but it can happen.  That's why a lot of EMC
folks say "no floating metal in a system" as a design rule.

Any conductor could be made to radiate given the proper conditions
whether its irregular or not, thin or wide.  The physical shape pretty
much dictates its resonant frequencies, its directionality, and whether
the structure will have a narrow or wide bandwidth.  Large variances in
physical shape will make more "resonances" seem to appear in the
response curves.  However, if we consider more "smooth" shapes can
resonate over a wider span around a single center frequency we find that
we really can't say that they are more or less "dangerous" to EMC
compliance.

The real question is whether there is enough energy available locally,
a coupling structure that permits enough of that energy to reach the
radiating structure, and the degree a radiating structure is uninhibited
in its ability to radiate.

Grounding (appropriately "referencing") a "power sandwich" is vital to
inhibit it from radiating.  Since trace to power sandwich coupling is not
likely to make an efficient power match due to impedance mismatching,
this doesn't seem likely. If one is worried about whether there is enough
energy available locally to get the whole thing going, there's always
"distance" that you can use to reduce it, not to mention just doing a
good SI job to remove the unnecessary energy in the first place.

With all that said, most designers who do some simple, smart things
to their designs to avoid problems like that, won't have much problems
with those types of things.  If not, well then, its a great time to learn
some new stuff.

Regards,

Michael E. Vrbanac

List archives are viewable at: