[SI-LIST] Re: EMC

  • From: "Chris McGrath" <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:12:53 -0800

Your point is well taken and in the example I stated the (theoretical)
capacitance that we could expect is around 200 pF/sq.in. which is not
negligible given the lower inductance.  However, like most things this
list discusses, the whole system plays a part in determining whether a
design method is appropriate but I am glad to have a better
understanding of the reasoning for having the ground fills.  (I must
admit, however, that the cost of passive components- especially on the
order of a penny or less per component- is not a factor in most of our
designs.  To me, the greatest benefit to removing a passive component,
especially capacitors, is that lowering the component count increases
MTBF of the system.)

While I realize that the theory makes sense for all layers, I am
assuming that if ground fills are actually used that they are mainly
done on the outside (top and bottom) layers and not on internal layers.
From a thermal profiling and manufacturing perspective, filling up
unused regions everywhere within a PCB can be a serious problem as the
layer count increases (16+ layers).  What are your thoughts?

-Chris

EMI=3D3D20
> > > and Top & Bottom layers you are doing Ground fill, so I =
think=3D3D20
> > > the device EMI will be controlled by the Ground fills.
> > >=3D3D20
> > > Regards,
> > > Suresh.K,
> > > Vth EDA Lab,
> > > C-DOT,
> > > Bangalore-52.
> > >=3D3D20
> > >=3D3D20
> > >=3D3D20
> > >=3D3D20
> > >=3D3D20
> > > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, subramani wrote:
> > >=3D3D20
> =3D3D20
> > route the=3D3D20
> > > reducing EMI.=3D3D20
> =3D3D20
> > > Subject field
> to:=3D3D20 =3D20=20
> =3D3D20
> > >=3D3D20
> > Subject field=3D20
> > >=3D3D20  or to administer your membership from a web page,=20
> go to:=3D3D20 =20
> > >//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> > >=3D3D20
> > > For help:
> > >=3D3D20
> > > si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject=20
> field =3D3D20
> > > List archives are viewable at:    =3D3D20
> > >           //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> > > or at our remote archives:
> > > Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
> > >           http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
> > >  =3D3D20
> > >=3D3D20
> Subject field=20
> >=3D20  or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:=3D20
> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >=3D20
> > For help:
> >=3D20
> >=3D20
> > List archives are viewable at:    =3D20
> >             //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> > or at our remote archives:
> >             http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
> >  =3D20
> >=3D20
>=20
> or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:=20
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>=20
> For help:
>=20