[SI-LIST] Re: Draft Touchstone 2.0 document available

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick" <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:33:00 -0600

Michael,

Thank you and the IBIS Open Forum for supporting and updating
the Touchstone Spec.  The spec has become a de facto industry
standard, and it is in much need of updating.

Overall, I really like the improvements suggested in Draft Version 2.
They should enhance the utility of the file format and ease
tool development that supports the format.

I spoke with a few folks about the draft, and we would appreciate
consideration of one change.  Under Network Parameter Data, the
ordering of the S-parameter matrix elements are consistent for
most - but not all - matrix sizes.

More specifically, the 1-, 3-, 4-, 5-, ... port matrices are
presented in Ascending-Row then Ascending-Column order, which
matches most (all?) common matrix representations.

In contrast, the 2-port matrix breaks this order, in that S21
(Row 2) is listed before S12 (Row 1). =20

Although we can generally adapt to the 2-port matrices having their
own unique element ordering, it has historically caused many
issues for several of us.  Several analysis and measurement tools
do not follow this ordering, and many engineers are unaware of
the uncommon ordering.

If at all possible, we would much appreciate the 2-port matrix
element ordering to comply with the rest of the spec.  By doing so,
it would make Touchstone format consistent with many
commercially-available
tools and make it easier (i.e., less error prone) for folks to
develop tools around it.

Much appreciate your consideration.

Pat

List technical documents are available at: