[SI-LIST] Doubt about DDR1 memory module's CLK topology

  • From: Lijinxing <venussoso@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:40:26 +0800 (CST)

Hi, SI experts.
   I have some questions about DDR1 memory module's clock topology.
   There are three pairs of differential clock, let's take 2R * 8 unbuffered
memory for instance, there are 16 DRAMs in all,  so dividing the load to 6,6,4
DRAMs for the CLK, as the following illustration:
 6 loads:
                    /DRAM1
                  / \DRAM2
                /       DRAM3
CLK  -------------/
                \    \ DRAM4
                 \ / DRAM5
                  \DRAM6

4 loads:
                   /DRAM1
                  / \DRAM2
                /       Cap
CLK  -------------/
                \    \ Cap
                 \ / DRAM3
                  \DRAM4
    The standard for the Cap in 4 loads condition is, equal to 1/2 DDR SDRAM
input capacitance.
My question is:
   1. What's the purpose of these Cap.s, balancing the load? Or matching
impedance? Signal termination?
   2. In a condition, the DRAM input capacitance is 2pf, so the referenced
value is 1pf, and I measured the signal

[...]

value is 1pf, and I measured the signal under 1pf configuration, is perfect. If
I exchange the Cap.s to 2pf, the clock performs very bad, the undershoot is
significant, and the rise edge is much faster than the referenced condition. In
addtion, when I remove the Cap.s or use 3.3pf, it also performs much better,
can someone give me an explaination?
   3. What is the disadvantage by removing these 2 Cap.s? And why use Cap.s,
can resistor or inductor work?
Any reply is appreciated, thanks.

John.

List technical documents are available at: