[SI-LIST] Re: Does power/ground pair edege radiation noise really matter in the EMI test?

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:25:40 -0800 (PST)

Hello Steve/All,
These are very good references in general, I have a good understanding (in my
own mind) of the topic and have run field solvers that highlight the tricky and
potentially dangerous resonance issue.  Briefly and basically what we have
found
(in several products):
(1) Every metal structure has the potential to resonate regardless of whether
its a plane, signal, or other.
(2) Ideally every metal structure in your system will be designed to have a
fundamental resonance below the highest critical frequency.
(3) Number (2) is a fantasy for most of us, so we rely on techniques (such as
stitching Vias, structure reduction) to move the critical resonances.  This is
where the field solver comes into play.  We attempt to capture the coupling
matrix from structure to structure.
(4) Resonances are unavoidable in practice, just because they exist does NOT
mean they will transfer.  Natural isolation through Cap/Inductance,
dramatically
different source/load terminations and so on will determine how the cavity
energy or resonance will transfer or couple from structure to structure.

Merry Christmas all,

-Jory

From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>