[SI-LIST] Re: Does power/ground pair edege radiation noise really matter in the EMI test?

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:10:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello Lee,
We have a case in which an existing customer design was not functioning due to
one direct path to path coupling in the PLL.  This path to path coupling was
one
resonate structure path (resonate at critical PLL frequency) to the PLL power
path.  We came in and found the amount of coupling was in the -20dB range which
based on PLL simulations should have been less than -50dB at this critical
frequency.  We caught this path on the old package (plus some others not
related
in separate blocks ) and spun a new package with coupling below the -50dB
target.  The re-spun package is fully functional to date and trying to get
customer permission to turn into a paper.
There are other cases and admittedly more the common as you point out in which
it is less clear as to what the exact coupling path that has created issues
with
a product.  For example, we are working on which shows at least 5 coupling
paths
that are individually close to the allowable coupling but collectively sum
above
the absolute maximum coupling.  Of these paths one of them has a resonate in
the
frequency of interest which to be safe we took care to damp this path while
trying to further isolate the others.

Regards,
-Jory

From: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>