[SI-LIST] Re: Disscussion on DRAM technoly

  • From: "Cheng, Chris" <chris.cheng@xxxxxx>
  • To: Tesla <emcesd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 21:26:43 +0000

That said, there are those who run gigantic application such as hadoop, google
search engines or facebook that will gladly trade memory access latency for
huge memory density. For them, the latency penalty is when they run out of DRAM
and have to go to SSD  or spin up the motor drive of a disk or go across the
cluster.
Unfortunately desktop PC drives DRAM volume, we all have to live with that fact
and work our solutions around it.
Chris Cheng
Distinguished Technologist , Electrical
Hewlett-Packard Company