[SI-LIST] Re: Dispersion

  • From: Fred Balistreri <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: C Deibele <deibele@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:05:31 -0800

I'm not sure about your analogy below. Dispersion occurs when
broadband signal waves are launced into imperfect medium.
The sine waves making up the broadband signals do not travel
at the same speeds because the medium characteristics change over
frequency.
If the sine wave frequencies occur where the medium changes
then the sine waves will not maintain their phase relationship
and the signal gets distorted, we call this dispersion. In
PCB's dispersion occurs at high frequencies where the dielectric
constant changes. The degree of dispersion in PCB's is totally
due to the imperfections of the material used. Specifically the
dielectric. While it is theoritcally possible (in an equation)
to have a change in er without an accompying loss, in reality
this does not happen. A change in er over frequency always includes
a change in the loss tangent..ie loss in the dielectric. If you
can show me a material that changes er over frequency with constant
loss then I will  agree with you. Otherwise in a practical sense
and in my humble opinion I do not agree with your conclusion.

Best Regards,

C Deibele wrote:

> I disagree.
>
> Take a trace, with two ports,  and put an open circuited "T" in the
> middle of it.  This is a perfect source of dispersion.  The entire
> basis for schiffmann phase shifters is easily realizable on pcb's.
> Loss has nothing to do with these forms of dispersion.
>
> Dispersion means that the phase velocity is different from the
> group velocity.  or the slope of the curve of omega versus k
> (frequency versus wavenumber) is different from the ratio of omega
> divided by k.
>
> Craig
>
> >===== Original Message From Fred Balistreri <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
> >Except that in a PCB it is not possible to have dispersion without loss.
> >Dispersion without loss is defined only for wave guides. In a PCB the
> >resulting change in er carries with it losses in the dielectric
> >characterized
> >by the loss tangent. The losses and resulting change in er are a
> >function
> >of frequency, which results in dispersion and attentuation. There is
> >also
> >additional attenuation with frequency caused by the so called skin
> >effect.
> >I believe the loss in the conductor is often associated with the
> >attenuation
> >constant. While the losses in the dielectric are often attributed to the
> >phase constant. The propagation constant is a function of the two and is
> >frequency dependent. The degree of change depends on the materials used.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >
> >C Deibele wrote:
> >>
> >> Jeff,
> >>
> >> You bring up some very good points -- The real definition of dispersion is
> the
> >> fact that the phase velocity (omega divided by k) is different than the
> group
> >> velocity (d omega / dk).  When the phase velocity is different from the
> group
> >> velocity, an impulse "disperses" or gets "fatter" when looked in the time
> >> domain.
> >>
> >> In fact, even though I don't like the textbook in general, Jackson's book
> >> "Classical Electrodynamics" has a great theoretical treatment of the
> subject
> >> that can be fairly well understood even with a cursory overview.
> >>
> >> Dispersion, in general, has absolutely nothing to do with losses.  For
> >> example, a waveguide (here I mean a pipe, circular or rectangular), is
> >> absolutely dispersive.  the phase velocity is different from the group
> >> velocity.
> >>
> >> Regarding loss -- when the loss varies w.r.t. frequency, this causes
> >> dispersion.  While the loss variance may be accounted for in any myriad of
> >> techniques, the end result is dispersion.
> >>
> >> In fact, I've designed lots of equalizers to rid systems of dispersive
> >> properties.
> >>
> >> I agree, if a material is lossy, it is dispersive.  This is easy to measure
> [...]

List archives are viewable at: