[SI-LIST] Re: Disadvantages of wider traces

  • From: "Partha Simon" <parth.simon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: babid_a@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:32:21 +0530

Hello,
Wider traces will lower the Z0 and may cause anti -reflection and it depends
on what stack you are using, for typical 6-layer and nomial freqenciese they
work well, and at higher higer frequencies they reduce skin-effect and may
cause more dielectric loss.

To work between these tradeoffs we need simulator and we cant generalise the
case.

Regards,
Simon

On 19/04/07, Babid A <babid_a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> Assuming that there is a chance for routing traces as wide as possible,
> what are the disadvantages of having wider traces on the boards (>12mil) in
> respect to noise, jitter etc?
>
> -Thanks,

> List technical documents are available at:
>                http://www.si-list.net