[SI-LIST] Re: Diif pair geometry trade offs

  • From: Bill Owsley <wdowsley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joel@xxxxxxxxxx, 'Ken Cantrell' <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'SI-List' <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:40:07 -0700 (PDT)

In ref. to your original question about currents in the reference plane, and
the second part of this note,  since the reference plane is the larger copper
and lower impedance compared to the "other" trace of the diff pair, most of the
return current will flow in the reference plane.  For the internal layer,
adding a connecting via/s near to the transition cannot hurt and is likely to
help.  The coupling co-efficient, usually called k, will lower the impedance as
the traces are routed closer together and then you find yourself the area of
considering differential and common mode impedances all together, and the
various termination techniques.  And to be sure, don't break the reference
plane below the traces.  You can reduce the level of crosstalk between pairs by
adding a reference or ground trace as a guard trace between pairs, but then
that might not give you the density you want.

Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I just wanted to clarify a few things in my original post:

There have been several suggestions to decrease the trace width to maintain
the same impedance with decreasing dielectric height. My traces are already
down to 4.8 mils and I don't want to go much smaller, that is why I stated
that I would have to increase the gap between traces in a pair to maintain
impedance.

The 3x spacing refers to separation from one pair to another or from one
pair to a single ended trace, not the gap between the + and - signal within
a pair.

I also have a new question: If a diff pair changes layers from the top layer
(microstrip) to layer 3 (stripline) should a ground via be placed near the
transition via? When the signal is on the top layer it will be using layer 2
ground plane as the reference plane. When the signal is on inner layer 3 it
will be using the ground plane on layers 2 and 4 as the reference plane.

I do have Hyperlynx which will solve for impedance values but it does not
model return currents flowing through planes and vias.

Thanks - Joel