[SI-LIST] Re: Diif pair geometry trade offs

  • From: "Joel Brown" <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <htc2rl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:07:31 -0700

I am wondering if a 3D field solver would give some insight into how return
currents flow on planes and through the PDS (stitching vias and bypass caps)
and what effect is has on the integrity of the signal. We currently do not
have a 3D solver but I might consider one if it would do this.
One thing that has not been discussed is how close the stitching vias need
to be to the signal via. I realize this is probably a complex subject which
would depend on the signal frequencies and board geometry. I am also
thinking that the return current flows through multiple vias that are
located on the vicinity of signal via. Again I see this where a 3D solver
may be of use. I am also guessing that folks who design IC packages may be
more advanced than board designers in terms of tools and techniques that
they use.

Joel