[SI-LIST] Re: Differential trace route question

  • From: Paul Levin <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: James_R_Jones@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:34:51 -0700

Dear All,

In trying to decide how much skew you can tolerate, consider this:
To the extent that you have un-matched the pair, you have converted
part of your differential signal into common-mode, which your
differential receiver can probably tolerate. Conversely, you have
converted part of your common-mode signal, whether due to transmitter
mismatch *or to external pickup*, into differential signal which is
now indistinguishable from the signal you are trying to receive.
This is the crux of the matter.

I hope that this insight helps.

Regards,

Paul Levin