[SI-LIST] Differential signals - skew - and EMC

  • From: "Eric Bogatin" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:32:47 -0700

Hi folks-

Here is an EDN blog I wrote a few weeks ago related to common currents and
Charles Grasso's question about how much is too much.

http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/test-voices/4420453/Not-all-common-curr
ents-are-bad

In my Advanced GigaBit Channel Design class, we go through the numbers. Here
is the brief analysis:

It takes about 3 uA of common current on Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) cable
to fail FCC part 15 class B at about 100 MHz on a 1 m long external cable.

It takes about 1 mV of common signal driving the cable to drive 3 uA and
fail the test.

If the diff signal is 600 mV (like PCIe II), this is -55 dB of mode
conversion from the source to the UTP front end to fail a radiated emissions
test.

How can any product ship with an RJ45 connector for UTW cables if this is
the limit to mode conversion, at the ~ 100 MHz point?

The solution is common mode chokes. With a 40 dB isolation, this allows as
much as -15 dB mode conversion before the common currents that get through
cause EMI problems.

However, even with shielded twisted pair, a bad connector negates the value
of the shield proving the return for the common signal.

How much radiated emissions you get is a function of how 360 degrees the
connector is, hard to predict.

This is why, as a "habit", do everything that is free to minimize
asymmetries. When it cost more, use analysis to calculate the bang for the
buck.

This is just one example of how common currents on external cables can cause
radiated emissions.

--eric

Dr. Eric Bogatin, Signal Integrity Evangelist

Bogatin Enterprises

Setting the Standard for Signal Integrity Training
web site:  <http://www.bethesignal.com/> www.beTheSignal.com

Blog:  <http://www.bethesignal.com/blog> www.beTheSignal.com/blog

Twitter @beTheSignal
e:  <mailto:eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Laboratory:  Connected Community Networks

105 S Sunset St, Suite J

Longmont, CO 80501 USA

cell: 913-424-4333  skype: eric.bogatin