[SI-LIST] Differential measurement with normal VNA

  • From: Matthias Bergmann <MBergmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:32:19 +0200

Hello SI-LIST,

I would like to measure a differential structure with a network analyzer
and have got the
following questions:
First I will measure single S-parameters which are afterwards converted
mathematically to
differential S-parameters as described by Bockelmann and Eisenstadt.

1) My VNA measurement system is connected to the DUT by cables and SMA
connectors.
I want to calibrate the network analyzer to the end of the cables using a
standard SMA
calibration kit, but I am not sure if this will be sufficient.
Is there anything like a rule of thumb until which frequency it is
tolerable to neglet the effect of
the connectors and when I have to use a custom-designed calibration ?

2) Shall I design the traces between the differential DUT and the
connectors as tightly-
coupled transmission lines with a differential impedance of 100 Ohms or as
two loosely-
coupled traces with a single impedance of 50 Ohms each one ?
In their books Bogatin and Johnson write that two loosely-coupled traces
with 50 Ohms
indeed have got a differential impedance of 100 Ohms and that tightly
coupled traces are just
used because of limited space on the pcb ? Furthermore I don`t really
understand the
appendix about coupled and uncoupled lines in the original article from
Bockelmann and
Eisenstadt.

3) Assuming that I will use coupled lines:
Probably the differential impedance would reach the aimed 100 Ohms, but the
single impedances would be somewhat higher than 50 Ohms. If I terminate the
unused terminals with 50 Ohms SMA-termination plugs, can I neglet the
imperfect termination or how should the terminatin look like ?
How does the broadening / drift of the traces in the region of the sma
connectors influence the measurement ? Can I neglet this effect ?

Thank you, Matthias

____________________________________
Business Unit Geräteanschlusstechnik
Technologielabor
Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Bergmann

Phoenix Contact GmbH & Co. KG
Flachsmarktstraße 8
32825 Blomberg
Germany
Tel.: ++49 - (0) 5235 3-4 13 85
Fax: ++49 - (0) 5235 3-4 20 02
e-mail: mbergmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: www.phoenixcontact.com

20.-24. April Hannover Messe 2009
Produkte und Lösungen für Ihren Erfolg - Besuchen Sie uns in Halle 9
Mehr Informationen unter http://www.phoenixcontact.de/hannovermesse

Phoenix Contact GmbH & Co. KG

Sitz der Gesellschaft / registered office of the company: 32825 Blomberg
USt-Id-Nr.: DE124613250
Pers. haftende Gesellschafterin / personally liable partner: Phoenix
Contact Verwaltungs GmbH
Amtsgericht  Lemgo HRB 5273 / district court Lemgo HRB 5273
Kom. Ges. Amtsgericht Lemgo HRA 3746 / limited commercial partnership
district court Lemgo HRA 3746

Geschäftsführer / Executive Board:
Klaus Eisert
Roland Bent
Dr. Martin Heubeck
Prof. Dr. Gunther Olesch
Frank Stührenberg
Dr. Heinz Wesch
vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, jegliche anderweitige
Verwendung sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

unauthorized copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the material
or parts thereof is strictly forbidden.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: