[SI-LIST] Re: Differential Traces and GND planes

  • From: "Riley, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Riley@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx'" <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>, "'krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:41:21 +0000

In addition, even if everything is perfectly matched, cancellation only works
if the fields are identical. This is only possible when all aggressors are
infinitely far away. In reality an aggressor running parallel to the pair will
be significantly closer to one signal in the pair than to the other, so the
crosstalk induced will be worse in the nearest signal and cancellation will not
take place. Either keep a wide spacing between the pair and any possible
aggressors, or better, put a GND plane under the pair and a GND track/fill
between the aggressors and the differential pair, making sure it is well
stitched to the plane below. Do this on both sides of the pair and this then
makes it a differential coplanar waveguide. Better still, add another GND plane
above the diff pair and make sure all GNDs are stitched through.

Regards
Jonathan