[SI-LIST] Re: Differential TDR

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ZHENGGANG CHENG'" <zhenggang.cheng@xxxxxxxxx>, <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:54:17 -0800

Zhenggang,

In case of symmetrical differential excitation (or probes), only the
differential mode will be excited and propagating along the transmission
line, regardless of how the excitation structure is implemented, with or
without connection to the ground or reference planes. The differential mode
impedance does not depend on the excitation - it is property of the
transmission line geometry with the reference planes (does not matter ground
or power). However the transition from the probes to the differential mode
will be different in two cases and may cause the impedance transformation
and differences in the observed impedances. If probes are not connected to
the reference plane, the transition into the differential mode may take
longer line segment - simply because of zero currents in the plane at the
location of the probes must transition into the differential mode with the
currents in the reference plane (reflection and radiation are side-effects
of such transition). The observed impedances may also be different due to
the impedance transformation effect in the transition area. In general, the
closer the current distribution in excitation structure to the current of
the mode to be excited, the shorter the transition area and the closer to
the unit the impedance transformation coefficient. Note, that all those
parameters can be effectively estimated with a 3D full-wave field solver for
a particular stackup and measurement setup.

Best regards,
Yuriy Shlepnev
www.simberian.com