[SI-LIST] Re: Differential S-parameters

  • From: Steve Corey <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SI List (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:47:39 -0800

Mick -- one major issue here is that of linearity.  In his original
post, Pat was asking about being able to measure nonlinear systems.  If
the system is linear, then you can use superposition to add, subtract,
and scale the elements of the S matrix to get the different modal
will incur system-specific error.

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Modeling Company."
http://www.tdasystems.com

email: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: (503) 246-2272
fax:   (503) 246-2282

Zhou, Xingling (Mick) wrote:

> However, according to microwave network theory, S matrix is a 'complete'
> description of the port properties of the network in certain environment
> (reference impedances). To me, all port information is included, including
> diffrential and common or any other possible decompositions. In principle,
> differential signals are just special forms (or subset). Logically, the
> conversion should make sense. I am confused by "true". Is there any
> different differential thing?
>
> I agree that direct measurement is still an issue.
>
> Another question, is "single-ended" an officical term (in any formal
> publications)? It is the standard scattering parameters.
>
> Have a great weekend.
>
> Mick

List archives are viewable at: