[SI-LIST] Re: Differential Pair Characteristic Impedance Tradeoffs

  • From: Julia Nekrylova <fialka113@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dennis.Han@xxxxxxxxxxx, mbowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

Dennis,

Was it really "Er of 4.03" in your design?
Hundredths in the dielectric constant value would not make sense knowing
the typical manufacturing tolerances in FR4.

Julia
Dennis Han <Dennis.Han@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It doesn't make sense to have a single-ended constraint on differential
lines. A common-mode constraint makes more sense. I think your
single-ended constraint, meaning a single line that is not part of a
differential pair, is 60 ohms. Your differential constraints, meaning
two lines that are purposely coupled, are 90 ohms (and probably 30 ohms
common-mode if this if for USB) and 100 ohms. Then you can solve the
problem.

Er for FR4 is usually around 3.7 to 4.2, depending on the cores and
prepregs that are used. Since this is microstrip, take into account the
solder mask, which has an Er of approximately 3.75 and a thickness of
around 0.8 mils.

I recently designed microstrip 90-ohm differential (twice Zodd) and
30-ohm common-mode (half Zeven) microstrip with a 3 mill dielectric at
Er of 4.03 plus the solder mask. Line widths were 4.0 mils and space
was 6.5 mils. The finished copper thickness was 2.0 mils.

Dennis

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
http://www.si-list.org