[SI-LIST] Re: Different Spice netlists

  • From: "Clewell, Craig" <cclewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'erno.lahteenmaki@xxxxxxxxx'" <erno.lahteenmaki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:32:09 -0500

Br,

I once had the pleasure of working with a very intelligent PhD. who gave me
these great words of wisdom - "Simplify the problem until it goes away and
then work backwards from your assumptions".  Well, let's work backwards from
the original question...

5. No, there is no difference between Spice netlists

4. Yes, there is subtle differences. As you can see Arpad, Fred, Andrew and
myself all agree.  We all mention that the SOME of the "syntax" is different
from one flavor to another.

3. A few of the differences in syntax have to do with sources, lossy
elements and node names.

2.  R, L, C, V, and other common/generic elements will work in just about
every flavor there is.

1. As you migrate away from the simplest of circuits and common components
you risk the ability to transfer a netlist from one package to another. If
you purchase software from a SPICE vendor chances are they added something
to the code to make it more functional for a specific purpose.  They dress
up the original code with more bells, whistles and capability than what the
bear bones code allows you to do.  I believe all SPICE packages will allow
you to write code for a resistor like this R1 0 1 50, but not all packages
will allow you to write it like this R1 node1 node2 R=3D'V(node100, node101)
* I(another_element_name)...'.  That is what we all mean by "syntax"
differences.

So, to answer the original question NO there is no difference as long as
your circuit has the most common simple elements.  YES, there is a
difference if you start using application specific components, subcircuits
and code.

Craig