[SI-LIST] Re: Design For Manufacturing assessment Tools for PCB Designs

  • From: "Andrew W. Riley III" <drew3rdof3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:25:25 -0700

Howdy,
I used Valor for a couple of years, about three years ago when I worked at
Jardon Engineering.  It worked well and was highly configurable.  They also had
different configuration files for Valor from some of the places the design
might
be sent to be built.  They were more than happy to send their configuration
files and the cooperation saved lead time in meeting their requirements.

At my previous employer's, we also attempted the use of a demo of Adiva.  It
crashed the Win2K computer on several attempts to get it set up.  After
reformatting and installing the software on a clean machine, Adiva was still
not
up to snuff so they stuck with Valor.  Not sure what they use now.

Note that with the proper configuration, Allegro Expert will provide a clean
output to Valor.  I found this out late in my employment with Jardon and was
one
of the few designers able to get an error free report from Valor on the first
time through with all of my boards after that.  I would imagine that Mentor and
Pads have the same possibility.  I cannot yet say the same about Protel as I
have not found the equivalent soldermask and some of the other rules and checks
available in Allegro.
One of those changes was to have the board outline only in its own gerber file.
The fab houses I deal with prefer it this way.

I believe that I used the same version of Valor that John mentioned and I will
always recommend it above Adiva.

Best of fortune, and

Cheers!
Drew