[SI-LIST] Deriving Output Hold Times

  • From: Chris Bobek <cbobek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 15:16:40 -0700

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to estimate or derive an output hold
time specification from a datasheet or an IBIS model (if one is not
already specified).  Assume the datasheet specifies clock-to-out
(min/max).  Technically, I don't think you can use clock-to-out (min)
alone because there is a period of time where the data is invalid at the
driver pin.  Maybe the derivation could be (clocktoout(min) - risetime)?

The reason I ask is that all my inputs have 1.0ns hold time
requirements.  My busses are so short that trace delay alone won't meet
this spec.  Of course, I can skew the clocks, but I only want to do this
as a last resort because of other unrelated problems this would cause.

Thank you very much,

Chris