[SI-LIST] Re: Definitions in IPC-T-50

  • From: "Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jack Olson <pcbjack@xxxxxxxxx>, SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:31:56 -0600

Jack,
As a matter of historical interest, the definition for Dielectric Constant you
quote from IPC-T-50 is worded very similarly to James Clerk Maxwell's
definition from his 1873 Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, Vol. 1 (p. 55).

"This property of dielectrics... is also called the Dielectric Constant of the
substance.  It is defined as the ratio of the capacity of an accumulator [older
term for capacitor] when its dielectric is the given substance, to its capacity
when the dielectric is a vacuum."

That historical connection may be why IPC-T-50's authors chose to use this
wording, though this is just speculation.

- MM