[SI-LIST] Default tap settings for SerDes

  • From: Mario Antolos <marioantolos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 22:06:04 +0200

For SerDes transceivers with high equalization capabilites and many
different tap combinations, when it's "good enough" to use default
settings, instead of performing extensive optimal tap settings search?
I know that it should boil down to how much margin (losses, receiver
sensitivty, etc) we have, but for example in cheap consumer electronics,
it's cheaper to have fixed default tap setting then to have programmable
tap settings.

Also what are default tap settings?

For example in PCI Express where we have:

-3.5 dB de-emphasis, for 2.5 Gbps & 5 Gbps

-6.0 dB de-emphasis, for 5 Gbps

Thanks, Mario

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: