[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling of Oscillator

  • From: pwelling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Tegan.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:06:52 -0700

Tegan,

Assume you have a High Logic level that is transitioning from a High to a
Low. Normally, a monotonic edge will fall at an even slope to a Low.

-------
       \
        \
         \
          \
           \
            \
             \
              \
               \
                \
                 \
                  \
                   -----------

When walk-out occurs, the edge falls with a normal slope until it "plateaus"
for a time then completes the rest of the falling slope to the ground
reference.

Pictorially, it would look like this:

--------
        \
         \
          \
           \
            \
             \
              \
               ------
                     \
                      \
                       ---------

Notice how it "walks-out" during the end of the transition.

This occurs quite often on a loaded AC-Terminated (R-C method) net at the
end of the net due to the capacitance "recharging" the line. In this case it
is caused by the extra long return path caused by the bead.

This is a different effect from looking at the drive end of a series
terminated net. In that case the plateau is based on Ro+Rs versus Zo AC
voltage division.

As to your design, if you ** must ** provide for a bead and you have not
selected one yet... You would want to know the current requirements of the
circuitry, IDLE and Operating. You need to determine what frequencies you
want to keep in/out of the circuit (consider both high frequencies like
PLLs, Phase Detectors, edge rates, and low frequencies to maintain jitter
requirements). Select a bead that will have the additional capacity AND the
desired Impedance (this means overkill on the bead because as current is
passed through a surface mount bead, the impedance degrades severely). It is
best to specify the bead on the lower end of the higher impedance of the
curve at the expected current. Determine the correct decoupling capacitors
both high and low frequency - 0.1 uF may not be what you are looking for if
you have a high rate clock. Make sure you have bulk low frequency tantalum
for the reasons above.

When you have done all of this, place a Zero Ohm resistor (of appropriate
wattage) across the bead (or pads) so that you can defeat it when you have
problems. Try with just the resistor first. Populate the bead if you need
it.

This will at least help you get the layout going.

Philip Ross Wellington
Mgr. Signal Integrity & EMI
L-3 Communications CSW

From: Philip Ross Wellington

> Some provided Pi filters for the
> ground but that didn't work well logically because of the return path
> inductance and Signal Integrity (not even coined back then) induced
> problems.

On datasheets I've seen recommended isolation/filtering networks that look
like this:
(values chosen at random)

RAW_VCC -----------BEAD-------------- VCC'
         |      |          |     |
         |      |          |     |
        22uF  0.1uF      0.1uF  22uF
         |      |          |     |
         |      |          |     |
RAW_GND -----------BEAD-------------- GND'

versus:

RAW_VCC -----------BEAD-------------- VCC'
         |      |          |     |
         |      |          |     |
        22uF  0.1uF      0.1uF  22uF
         |      |          |     |
         |      |          |     |
RAW_GND ----------------------------- GND'

Is there any merit to the first approach, say, for a clock, or a device with
a PLL, or a sensitive analog sub-section?  Both in terms of circuit
operation and EMI/RFI concerns.

I've also seen a couple where the beads are replaced with low or 0 ohm
resistors.

Thanks,

===============================
 Martin Euredjian