[SI-LIST] Decoupling in DDR3 Applications

  • From: Hirshtal Itzhak <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:57:12 +0200

Hello Experts!

I found out that the Unbuffered DIMM Design Specification 21C Page
4.20.19-30 (Revision 1.01 Nov 2009) recommends to decouple VTT by
decoupling capacitors to VDD. VREFCA has the same recommendation.

On the other hand, on the same page, VREFDQ is recommended to be
decoupled to VSS.

Also, I couldn't find any specific recommendation for the decoupling
voltage in the Unbuffered SO-DIMM Reference Design Specification 21C
Page 4.20.18-28 (Revision 1.0 Feb 2009).

Does anyone happen to know why decoupling is recommended to be done to
VDD rather than VSS in all cases? It seemed to me that VSS was always
the preferred voltage to decouple to. And if there's a good reason for
not doing it, then why the differences between the various voltages and
the two DIMM specs?

Also, is there a difference in regard to embedded (non-DIMM)
applications?

Thanks

Itzhak Hirshtal

 The information contained in this communication is proprietary to Israel
Aerospace Industries Ltd., ELTA Systems Ltd.
and/or third parties, may contain classified or privileged information, and is
intended only for
the use of the intended addressee thereof. If you are not the intended
addressee, please be aware
that any use, disclosure, distribution and/or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.
If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete it from
your computer. Thank you.

This message is processed by the PrivaWall Email Security Server.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: