[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling for PLL

  • From: Ray Anderson <reanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:20:55 -0700

steve weir wrote:

> Ray, this is a decoupling filter.  We don't need to match the filter
> to the PS source which we can treat as essentially zero Z.  I agree
> that if we wanted to matche the source we would have ourselves one big
> chunk of iron.

    My point was, that if we don't match the impedances we will have
"heavy metal" to deal with. Therefore we either need a series R which
works OK for low current loads, or some sort of compensation ckt such as
3a. With those approaches we can use reasonable size inductances. I
agree, we don't "need" to match the filter if we can apply circuit
modifications to manage the peaking. A simple Order N=2  Butterworth
filter with a rolloff frequency of 1kHz, a source impedance of 10
milliOhms and a load impedance of 150 ohms works out to an L of 1330 nH
and a C of  13,300 uF, probably not something you'd want to implement in
any practical design, but if you did it would have a nice Butterworth
shape with no peaking and wouldn't require any series R or compensation
network.

> We need to match to the needs of the load.  One way to go about that
> is to start with the minimum part count circuit, the simple series
> R-L-C, and scale for the load impedance.  Most PLL's aren't very power
> hungry.  If that doesn't work then circuit 3A is a nice way around the
> problem.  The only limitation of 3A, and it is unlikely a problem in
> these circumstances is the stray inductance in the series R-C.

 In order to manage the peaking the series resistor is effective as
we've both stated as long as the I*R drop is tolerable. I usually use an
iterative approach to determine the value of the series R using spice
simulations. Do you know of a way to calculate the optimum value for the
series R ?

The figure 3a compensator provides a load to the filter equal to the
characteristic impedance of the LC filter.  Choose the compensator
capacitor to be about 4 times the filter C (not critical, bigger is OK)
and then select the compensator R so that R=SQRT(L/C) where R and C are
the R and C in your filter. I'd suspect the parasitic L in the
compensator components wouldn't be detrimental to the low frequencies
that the power filter is usually designed to roll off.

-Ray

> Regards,
>
> Steve.

.The ASCII schematics below illustrate the topologies under discussion
(best viewed with a fixed-width font)

Original "peaky"  power filter:

                        ___
         +--------------UUU---+----------------+
         |                    |                |
         '                    '               .-.
        --- Low or zero Z    ---              | | PLL Load
         -                   ---              | |(few 100 ohms)
         |                    |  C            '-'
         |                    |                |
        ===                  ===               |
        GND                  GND              ===
                                              GND

"De-peaked" circuit using series R

              Few ohms   L
                ___     ___
         +-----|___|----UUU---+----------------+
         |                    |                |
         '                    '               .-.
        ---                  ---              | | PLL Load
         -  Low or zero Z    ---              | |(few 100 ohms)
         |                    |  C            '-'
         |                    |                |
        ===                  ===               |
        GND                  GND              ===
                                              GND

"De-peaked" using shunt compensator network:

                         ___
          +--------------UUU---+--------+-------+
          |                    |        |       |
          '                    '        |      .-.
         --- Low or zero Z    ---      ---     | | PLL Load
          -                   ---      ---4*C  | |(few 100 ohms)
          |                    |  C     |      '-'
          |                    |        .       |
         ===                  ===       |       |
         GND                  GND       |      ===
                                        '      GND
                                       .-.
                                       | |
                                       | | SQRT(L/C)