[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: "Istvan Novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Martin Euredjian" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:40:52 -0400

Martin,

You are right, the term controlled-ESR capacitor may not be defined in any
of the papers to which I sent you the pointers earlier today.  This is an
emerging definition, referring to capacitors, which have the ESR specified
on their data sheet.  Controlled ESR is the first step; it will allow
designers to estimate the worst-case behavior of a power distribution
network.  The next step is to provide bypass capacitors where you can select
from a range of (controlled) ESR values: this is what I referred to in the
earlier message as BYPASS RESISTORS, as the resistance becomes the primary
parameter, and the capacitance value does not matter much, we just want the
highest capacitance in a given package.

Regards

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems