[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:54:25 -0700

Ken,

Thanks.

It is precisely because Lindenhurst has a relatively high spreading
inductance for power that I think people need to pay close attention to
it.  Carpet  bombing that sort of board with bypass caps is futile, and
because of the amount of bypass included in the processors,
unnecessary.  Now, you may have other chips on your board that impose that
cost of extra and thin layers close to the IC mounting surface, but as
Lindenhurst demonstrates, with proper engineering of the chip / package,
that expense is not mandatory.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: