[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:44:59 -0700

Ken, please see also my comments to Larry.  Please do review, because it is
not as nearly black and white as you think.  The price for reduced
capacitor count is a higher inductance in the capacitor network.  Do we
care?  Well that all depends on how sharp and uniform a cut-off one
presumes for the IC packages.  ( Assuming of course we are using bypass
capacitors to bypass power and not signals. )  If that cut-off is not sharp
or uniform, then at the end of the day equal inductance is what we seek and
the quantity advantage of the fine multipole evaporates.  If one makes what
I consider a mistake, but is still done, of relying on the power bypass
network for signal return, then the bypass network is further enlisted to
support much higher frequencies.  This is I feel very good at one
thing:  making assemblies more expensive.

In my highly opinionated view, the Intel 8 layer server stack-up should be
the basis of a required one or two week course for all SI and PI
engineers.  Big "V" works great on those boards designed and built to very,
very demanding cost targets, while supporting behemoth processors and big
fast front-side busses.  It is a shining example of using the principles
that experts like Chris have been driving home here for a long time.

Big "V" is not without its limitations.  Neither is fine multipole.  In the
hands of an experienced engineer, each can be used effectively.   Fine
multipole or what I prefer to call F^N was developed by smart people at Sun
to solve a problem and they succeeded.  It just doesn't make it the only
viable solution.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: