[SI-LIST] Decoupling a IC

  • From: "Juan Manuel" <jtalavera@xxxxxx>
  • To: "si list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:20:00 -0000

Hi all!!

I'm trying to decouple a component with 9 outputs and 3 power pins and 500ps
of rise time ( so, I need decouple the component until 700MHz). I'm
following the typical process of set a Target Impedance, decouple low
frequencies with a bulk capacitor and decouple High frequencies with ceramic
capacitors.
My problem is that When I calculate the induction budget to determiante the
number of ceramic capacitors ( following the Black Magic Book, formula 8.18
: L(tot)=X(max)Tr/3.1416 ), the value is very small: 160pH for a 500ps of
rise time and 1 ohm of target impedance. Therefore I should put 7 capacitors
in parallel. I think that putting seven bypassing capacitor for a small
component is insane. any solution?

Thanks in advance

-------------------Legal  Disclaimer---------------------------------------

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by legal
and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in error please
contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any unauthorised form of
reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. The Institute does not
guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and is not
liable if the information contained in this communication is not a proper and
complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor for any delay
in its receipt.

List archives are viewable at: