[SI-LIST] Decoupling Capacitor for LNA and PA

  • From: jbtera77@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:06:01 +0900

Hi all,
 I have used decoupling capacitors in digital circuits. And I know that the
decoupling capacitor is very helpful for the power/ground impedance and SSN
reduction.

 But I wonder if the principle of decoupling capacitor is also acceptable
for analog circuit such as LNA and PA.

 One of my colleagues has simulated the effect of the decupling capacitor
for the LNA he has designed by himself. By adding several decoupling
capacitors on LNA chip (it has ideal power/ground source, ie, no p/g noise),
the output gain characteristics of LNA have changed. So I thought that we
better not apply the decoupling capacitors in the analog chips such as LNA
or PA, but I am not sure about that.

How could the decoupling capacitors affect LNA's signal output? I don't
think the decoupling capacitor causes the mismatch of the signal input or
output.

 Somebody has any idea about these phenomena?

Thanks in Advance,
Jongbae Park.

Jongbae Park
Ph.D Candidate
Terahertz Interconnection & Package Laboratory,Department of Electrical
Engineering,
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
E-mail) pjb77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
URL) http://tera.kaist.ac.kr/

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: