[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling Capacitor ESR/ESL

  • From: Erin.McPhalen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:17:23 -0700

Hi
Thank you, Lee and Steve for your responses they have been very
informative.  I should mention that I found Lee Ritchey's book to be
excellent including the power section by John Zasio, and look forward to
Vol 2.

 I should have enough information to generate some empirical formulas for
capacitor ESL based on via separation, mounting height, size, dielectric
material, voltage rating and capacitance.   Currently, I am reluctant to
get these values from a datasheet.  They seem to be inconsistent and could
lead engineers at my company to incorrect conclusions.

For instance the Kemet spice program lists the ESR/ESL for 0603 X7R (same
rating etc),  220nF  at 72 mOhms/2.090nH, 100nF ESR/ESL at 100 mOhms/1.99
nH and a 10nF at 331mOhms/1.82 nH.   This could lead designers to use
nothing but the 220nF capacitor since the ESR/ESL would make it far more
effective than the 100nF or 10nF capacitor given the magnitude and small
spread in ESL compared to the huge jump in ESR.  Based on measured values
from many other sources  for other X7Rs (though none Kemet), the actual
mounted inductance is quite a bit lower.  I do wish manufacturers of
capacitors would use the same measurement procedures for determining
ESR/ESL of capacitors and publish this information in a more consistent
fashion.

I did find using FastHenry(its free!) to model a mounted capacitor very
good and the results consistent with Lee Ritchey's book.   For 5 mil plane
height, Side-to-Side model came back with 1.02 nH @ 100 MHz and End-to-End
 was 1.57 nH @ 100 MHz.  Model Used:   2 vias, 0603 dimensions, 5 mil
thick bar centered at 15mils above board surface connected to vertical
bonding pads for the cap body,  12.5 mil via holes, 6 mils trace, all
planes 5 mils apart, measurement point at base of vias where they connect
to the planes)

Website is http://www.fastfieldsolvers.com/ if anyone is interested.  It
is very easy to use.

Erin McPhalen

steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
06/28/2006 03:13 PM

Erin.McPhalen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling Capacitor ESR/ESL

Erin, The science behind Dr Johnson's analysis is solid.  It does predict
incremental effects of moving vias around pretty well.  For example if you
take end mounted vias and push them further apart, his methods predict the
incremental inductance pretty closely.  Dr Johnson verifies that with his
100X models.  The issue with the models is that capacitors are represented
by solid metal blocks virtually at the PCB surface.  That isn't what
happens with real capacitors.  Had he built his 100X models with
additional features to account for the location of the capacitor plates
relative to the PCB mounting surface there is little doubt that the
results would have been substantially higher and much closer to what you
see in Lee's book and real life.

The incremental inductance for via Z axis in Lee's book are not way off
for specific cases.  In Lee's book I recall that John Zasio was measuring
primarily 0603 capacitors.  John did not specify either drill size or
spacing.  However, I suspect that the spacing was 50mils to support
routing grid.  Similarly, most likely he was using 14 or 15mil drills to
keep the aspect ratio under control for thick boards.  For 14mil drills I
get 20pH / mil and for 15mil drills 19.3pH / miil.  In that case his
measurements are off by 11% or less for the case of a two via capacitor
mount.  That's still a lot better than much of the information that is out
there.  You just need to understand where those numbers come from and how
to get the right numbers for your situation.

For big capacitors like tantalums, the capacitor body contributes a lot of
inductance.  An ordinary tantalum construction has a wire half way up the
body extending into the tantalum slug.  That big Z axis rise and little
wire makes a big induction loop.  John Pymak did a nice presentation on
this at the TF at DesignCon East 2005.  You can find it on Istvan's
web-site. Because of the large contribution from the capacitor dimensions,
and the large value of inductance to begin with the percentage error of
measurements in Lee's book for big caps is quite low.

Where I find the book goes a bit wrong is that John offered a blanket
metric of 35.5pH / mil / via that does not specify via diameter, spacing,
or array density.  Four vias on an 0402 do not come close to halving the
via inductance due to mutual coupling from + to +, and - to -.  Similarly,
vias spaced 100mils apart have a lot higher inductance / mil than the same
diameter vias spaced 40 mils apart.

If you have built a spreadsheet that uses one dimensional models you are
still going to face other surprises, especially if you try to make very
low impedance PDNs.  Those kinds of spreadsheets can be very handy as a
starting point.  But at a minimum you will want to account for 2D effects
of the planes.  Ultimately we are concerned with the power at the die and
that means that you also need to account for what is between the planes
and the die, sic what the IC package and die parasitics look like.  These
considerations make a market for products from companies like Sigrity,
Ansoft, and KAW.

Regards,

Steve.

At 11:00 AM 6/28/2006, Erin.McPhalen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Steve

Thank you for your response, that website has excellent material on
decoupling capacitors.

 I guess the issue I have using HJs model is that Lee Ritchy give an
inductance of 1.19 nH for a 0603 with End-to-End vias, and 0.780 nH for
the Side-to-Side vias.   When I run the numbers for a 12 mil drill hole, 5
mil distance from pad to ground plane, I get a via contribution of 108 pH
for 0.050 mils separation and 153 pH for 0.150.   Using HJ's
recommendation of treating the Pads, trace stubs, and capacitor body as
transmission lines to derive the inductance, I end up with 647 pH for a
Side-to-Side vias and 737 pH for an End-to-End vias.  This takes into
account the changes in pad and trace lengths but keeping the capacitor
"height" fixed.  My only conclusion is that the via contribution is two
low when calculating the inductance for the region encased by the vias and
mounting structure.

I was hoping to come up with an reasonable formula for calculating the
mounted inductance that was consistent with Lee Ritchey. Keeping cap
height constant should be able to give me something close to Lee Ritchey's
mounted inductances from his book.

The end goal was to provide a tool for choosing decoupling capacitors on
new products here and to hopefully convert the Kemet ESLs to mounted ESLs
to provide a good source of various measured ESLs for capacitors.

Erin McPhalen

steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

06/27/2006 10:40 AM
Please respond to
weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx

Erin.McPhalen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling Capacitor ESR/ESL

Erin, there are appnotes on the X2Y web site www.x2y.com that show
measured capacitor ESL for several different types of ordinary
capacitors and X2Ys of course for different mounting conditions.

If you look closely, the formulas derived empirically for incremental
inductance versus height in Lee's book are off a little but not way
off from the derivation using the method of Biot-Savart that is
behind Dr. Johnson's formula for via pair inductance within a cavity:

L = H*u/pi * ln( S / R )

Dr. Johnson derived a different formula for inductance outside a cavity.

Otherwise known as 10.2pH / mil * ln( S/R )

For 0402s using sidemount vias on 1mm centers and 10 mil drills this
becomes 21pH / mil.  Lee's book has a value of 35.5pH/mil/via without
specifying the via diameter or spacing which would work out to 17.8pH
/ mil.  So, you can see that they are in spitting distance of each
other for that specific case.

In very carefully constructed test fixtures, we find that Biot-Savart
still works.  The trouble that you may be having is the method that
you use to measure inductance.  Please see any of Istvan's or my
papers on that somewhat tricky subject.  It is very easy to get
thrown off especially when trying to measure small inductances.

Steve.
At 09:02 AM 6/27/2006, Erin.McPhalen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Hi
>I have put together a board impedance calculator in Excel that graphs the
>impedance of a PCB based on various decoupling capacitor values(ESR, ESL,
>C) and embedded capacitance of the board.  I am having difficulty,
>determining the ESL in particular for MLC capacitor.  I was using the
>"Right the First Time" book to bring in the mounting ESL and Via effects,
>but find the results inconsistent in the book, especially in terms of
>various measured values compared to calculated.   Howard Johnson had
>several empirical formulas but I found poor correlation between the
>formulas given by Howard Johnson compared to those presented by Lee
>Ritchey, both calculated and measured.
>
>Is their a reasonable method of calculating ESL that is consistent with
>measured values for determining the mounted inductance of a capacitor
>including the inductance associated with the Vias to the power/ground
>pairs?  I have looked at the AVX and Kemet Spice models as well.  AVXs
ESR
>values agree well with Lee Ritchey's measured but the ESL was fixed based
>on package.  The Kemet spice models provided ESL/ESR but both were
>excessively high compared to the calculated/measured values from Lee
>Ritchey.   I know that voltage rating, vias separation, dialectic,
>package, etc all effect the ESL.
>
>If anyone has a sound empirical formula or knows of a manufacturer who
>publishes ESL values of standard ceramic capacitors that seem reasonably
>close to measured values that would be a big help.   Even relative
>magnitude would work across various values of capacitors, since the
intent
>of the spreadsheet is to help engineers here plan their decoupling
>strategy based on a target board impedance.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>
>Erin McPhalen
>
>Hardware Designer
>R&D Hardware
>SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC

>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
>List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org
>
>List archives are viewable at:
>                 //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>or at our remote archives:

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
               http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at:

This email has been scanned for SPAM content and Viruses by the MessageL
abs Email Security System.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org