[SI-LIST] Re: Date for Gauss's Law of Magnetism

  • From: "Kieran O' Leary" <kieran.oleary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dbrooks7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 15:38:30 +0100

Hi Doug,

Not a definitive answer but James Clerk Maxwell's "A Dynamical Theory of the
Electromagnetic Field" was published in 1865.

This paper contains all four of what we now know as Maxwell's Equations
including both of Gauss' laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dynamical_Theory_of_the_Electromagnetic_Field

Maxwell formulated 20 equations but these were later reduced to the 4 that
we are familiar with nowadays by Oliver Heaviside.

No later than 1865 would seem appropriate to me but of course there were
multiple contributors to the development and mathematical treatment of these
laws.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Kieran