[SI-LIST] Re: Damping of Cavity-Mode Resonances in PCB

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:27:37 -0800

Brad, we may have a definitions problem here.  A resonance does its
damage by returning stored memories of wavefronts past at inconvenient
times via reflections.  A damped resonance reduces the magnitude of the
returned energy.   Once the amount of reflected energy is so low as to
be inconsequential I argue that it would be pedantic to distinguish that
from zero reflected energy.

Until he elaborates more, I don't know what Chris is after.  I can only
speak to the physics.

Best Regards,

Steve.

--