[SI-LIST] Re: Damping of Cavity-Mode Resonances in PCB

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:51:15 -0500

Jory,
Lets be clear on the nomenclature.  We are not dealing with coupling to the
universe (radiation),  we are dealing with cavity coupling.  Radiation is a
different phenomena.

When you say one eighth wavelength radial, do you mean that every ground
via is one eighth wavelength from the signal via and each neighboring
ground via, such that there are 6 ground vias surrounding each signal via
at 60 degree increments?  If that is the case, then I'd say that whether or
not you have suppressed a cavity resonance is dependent upon the radial
area not covered , rather than the wavelength criteria you specify.   I see
these resonances all the time in precision measurements.

Scott

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: