[SI-LIST] Re: DF spec for PCB materials

  • From: Nagy István <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:05:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,
I think one thing might have been missed:
The DF variation between the batches (lots) of the manufactured raw PCB
material sheets.
We and the mentioned articles were talking about batches of manufactured
printed PCB boards.
I didn&#39;t find indication for anyone making sure that the PCB fab
did/didn&#39;t order a new batch of material between making two batches of
printed PCBs for the same motherboard product. I think the fabs keep larger
stock of their few most usual materials, to guarantee lead time of their own
product. This stock might last for a very long time, maybe multiple batches of
the same board design.

Right now I need to select materials for 10Gbps/signal. One of the big
components we use has a design guide stating channel loss requirement, I might
apply the same numbers for other components running interfaces at the same
speed, although I know it&#39;s not really correct. If there is a difference in
the silicon IO requirements, it might be possible to adjust the loss
requirement based on the difference in electrical voltage level values in the
datasheets. We can also calculate loss requirement for a total channel (and
divide it into segments) based on driver output voltage and receiver input
voltage specs, as I used to do it. I don&#39;t know how correct/incorrect that
is.

Best regards,
Istvan Nagy
Sr. Hardware Development Engineer