[SI-LIST] Re: DDR-Length matching

  • From: "Cheng, Chris" <chris.cheng@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>, "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 02:21:50 +0000

My concern is there are company out there who use these ridiculous matching
rules as a "get out of jail free card" when things doesn't work.
I have personally seen a certain design where the clock to q coming out of the
IC has clearly exceeded the maximum spec by the vendor by over a 1ns. And yet
when confronted with the problem, the application engineer pull out the spec
and claim because I exceeded the maximum length in design guide by 120mils, the
part is no longer guarantee to work and it's my own fault. I am lucky to still
have my job but I have heard people losing their job on these kind of bogus
excuses.
The tin foil side of my brain thinks whoever wrote these rules knows how
ridiculous they are but keep it anyways just so if they run into real problems
they can hide behind them to blame their customers.

Chris Cheng