[SI-LIST] Re: DDRAM BUS Testing

  • From: Hal Murray <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 05:48:39 -0700

> Ihsan, in most systems we have many capacitors.  In many of the more
> expensive systems, we also tend to have relatively thin power
> cavities tying capacitors and loads together.  So, removing one cap
> for the sake of measurement yields a tolerable error that we can
> pretty much calibrate out once we consider the capacitor and IC
> distribution, and the composition of the plane cavity(s).

How often do people get in trouble because the manufacturing line misses a
bypass cap or several?  (I don't remember any war stories on that topic.)

Is there any simple way to check for that sort of thing in a production
testing environment?  I'd expect the system to keep working, but with reduced
noise margins.  That is it will work well enough to pass all the tests but
might fail occasionally after it gets to the customer.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: