[SI-LIST] Re: DDR5 Possibility

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, SI LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:46:30 +0200

Hello,

Of course there will be some successor of DDR4, the world keeps on
moving ..
But estimating If it is called DDR5 as evolutionary concept or something
called differently as revolutionary concept (serial interface,
Re-driver, ... ) I guess is looking into the "crystal ball".

There have been many attempts in the past to make a change with a
revolutionary concept and maybe there was enough learning out of the
failures made, and DDR4 is close enough to the edge that a revolutionary
concept is requried.  But similar to the border in process geometries
the final blocking point is shifted out more and more ..
Similar to serial interfaces there might be quite some possibities done
on silicon (x-talk cancellation, coding, Error correction,
TX-PreEmphasis, RX equalization, ...) in order to get the signaling done.

Maybe the bigger driver to change is even the system requirement .. DRAM
could only scale that far due to the prefetch. DRAM vendors did not like
to double the prefetch one more time, as the internal busses get very
wide .. but of course this is just a question of area. More critical
might be the fact that with another doubling of the Prefetch the
controller just gets too much data which is not requried at all. For
DDR4 the BankGrouping was introduced (copied from GDDR) to keep the 8bit
burst. But in order to utilize the possible bandwith the accesses have
to be done interleaved .. Future will show if the controller can
redirect the accesses usefully to different Bank-Groups.
Another doubling of the prefetch will make this topic again more critical.
Can other standards (wide IO, Memory cube) fulfill the requirements
better and therefore get adapted faster ?

And last but not lest: Another change that we might see: How long will
be DRAM the dominant Main memory storage ? there are several different
(non-Volatile) storage technologies that might have some advantages ..
and this might also bring a change in the game.

So many open questions and even if the successor of DDR4 might be
already discussed behind the scenes .. I think: What will be really the
interface that we will get after DDR4 is still VERY uncertain ...

just my 2 cents... and there are a lot more open topics to be discussed
when talking about a successor for main memory ...

Hermann

Upcoming Events:
=================
"Open the Black Box of Memory"
What you always wanted to know about Memory!
   .. But never had the right expert to ask!
September 22./23. 2014 in Copenhagen (some seats still available)
September 24./25. 2014 in Copenhagen (Sold out)
vist www.EyeKnowHow.de/en/seminars/

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Itzlinger Strasse 21a
94469 Deggendorf
Tel.:   +49 (0)991 / 29 69 29 05
Mobile: +49 (0)176  / 787 787 77
Fax:    +49 (0)3212 / 121 9008

Am 29.08.2014 11:18, schrieb icer world (Redacted sender
icermail@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC):
> Hi Experts,
> Is DDR5 possible in the future?
>
> Could you share your comments & estimation here?

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: