[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 termination on address / control lines

  • From: "Hany Fahmy" <hanymhfahmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'SI-List'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:58:24 +0200

I love Eric's answer "It depends": as I really depends on the Output-drive
strength and output-Slew-rate capability of the controller, I have to say
that MA/CMD & CNTL r very sensitive to Output-drive-strength & also
slre-rate, if it is only two sdrams then I vote for T-topology if I have
good control over the output-drive-strength and output-slew-rate to meet the
required timings especially of u target 1N mode. It also depends on which
speed-bin? I guess u want to shoot for 1600 or may be 1866?
U r correct in comparing both cases n use the best topology that meet ur
possible impedance targets & x-talk & return-path-discontinuity
requirements.

Highly recommend ref these signals to VDD n keep clock running w them on
same layer as possible to reduce the clock centering error.

Remember also to use the topology that will allow u to have similar clock
output-drive strength and slew-rate so that u also reduce the
CLK-2-MA/CMD/CNTL error budget @ controller side.

Hany Fahmy
CEO & Chief Consultant Officer
Intelligent Solutions BVBA

hanymhfahmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.intelligentsolutionsbvba.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/hany-fahmy/66/852/b11
Phone: +32471650724

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.