[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 clock failing radiation Tests

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ken Wyatt <ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 20:43:52 -0500

I find that when EMI is this far out of compliance the problem is usually a
basic ground return path issue.
Possible sources are:

Insufficient ground pins/balls
Perforated planes in PCB or package
Uncontrolled DDR power or ground plane resonance.

These problems can sometimes be found by inspection by an expert.  A full
wave package/PCB solver can be used to perform an eigenmode analysis for
power/ground plane issues.

A solver like Ansoft SIwave can be useful for these analysis.

Happy hunting.

Scott

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net