[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 VTT Bypassing

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 20:52:20 -0700

I agree: Don't just throw capacitors at a problem. Get the right
information and design the channel properly with a contiguous reference
from end to end.

The reasoning behind Vdd reference for A/C has long been that
substantial Vdd polygons are a necessity, and this allows them to be
used as returns thus reducing board layer count. If as an industry we
remain disciplined, we will retain the same references in the die as on
the PCB. An ASIC may not be designed to go in a DIMM, but the DRAMs
themselves better be.

Steve.

On 9/9/2012 8:07 PM, 吴枫 wrote:
> Hi Stefan
> This is my first post. :-)
> I have the similiar case as you. If you are talking about the vtt of DDR3
> fly-by termination.
> The ASIC is not planned to support DIMM. So in the package and board design,
> we use ground reference.
> After discussion, we change decap to ground now which is the reference or
> return path of the signals.
>
> but I don't think adding both vtt/ground decap and vtt/vdd decap is always
> good idea. it depends.
> for example, in the following sencario,it is not a good idea.
> 1) vtt and vdd are both ground reference or neighbor.
> 2) signals are ground reference as well.
> in this case, decap between vtt and ground is the choice, but not decap
> between vtt and vdd.
> the cap between vtt and vdd will be a way or bridge to inject noise from vtt
> rail to power vdd rail.
> in another word, any noise between vtt and ground will be injected to vdd and
> ground because of the bridge casued by cap between vtt and vdd.
> the situation will be worse if you don't have enough cap between vdd and
> ground near the cap between vtt and vdd.
> you will see high crosstalk. It will be the worst, if the component is
> located at the resonance peak of the Vdd/ground cavity.
>
> So if you don't want strong coupling, then don't add any cap between them.
> If you want strong coupling, then add the cap "properly" between them.
> But how do we know whether strong coupling is needed or not?
> the answer is "it depends".......
>
> by the way, when you connect the signal in the inner layer with the Rtt in
> the external layer, you need a signal via. don't forget place a reference via
> near the signal via. otherwise, you will see the crosstalk. we usually pay
> attention to the signal via in the middle of the trace. but sometimes omit
> the signal via near the termination.
>
> Thanks
> Feng
>

> At 2012-09-10 06:36:39,"Stefan Milnor" <stefan.milnor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I guess that is one way to hedge your bets.
>>
>> On Sep 9, 2012, at 12:35 PM, "Farooq" <fbhatti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi OP
>>> I want to second Herman. I agree GND & VDDQ should treated same
>>> I ALWAYS bypass VTT to GND & VDDQ
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Farooq Bhatti
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>>
>>> For help:
>>>

>>> List forum  is accessible at:
>>>
>>> List archives are viewable at:
>>>         //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

>>>         http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>
>> For help:
>>

>> List forum  is accessible at:
>>
>> List archives are viewable at:
>>              //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

>>              http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: