[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 Slew Rate derating.

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:59:12 +0100

Hello,
as for most parts of the datasheets this data is not adjusted by the
individual DRAM manufacturers. This kind of number are discussed in
JEDEC when fixing the Spec, and each company designs it's DRAM to hit
this target.
So it's not really that the numbers are defined by the Hardware, but the
Hardware is designed to hit this numbers. This is true for most of the
parameters in the Datasheed (e. g. Setup/Hold absolute values).
Reason for this is, that DRAMs are a commodity product that need to be
interchanged without thinking. If the DRAMs would have different timing
definitions it would be a big problem to adjust a system to different
DRAM vendors. This is something nobody wants to do, and therefore this
numbers are usually not changed by any DRAM vendor.
The DRAM vendors also don't want to be better than the spec, because no
customer will pay for this, and it would cost additional design effort.

Whether a DRAM vendor is doing characterization testing or defining this
parameter as "guaranteed by design" is up to each DRAM vendor. It is
definitly no parameter that is checked in a high volume production test.

regards

Hermann

Visit us on Embedded World 2010, 2. - 4. March 2010 in Nuernberg
Follow our presentation on Tuesday, March 2nd, 11:00 a.m.
        "Signal Integrity in embedded computer systems"

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx