[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 Slew Rate derating.

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: QU Perry <Perry.Qu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:41:29 -0700

Perry,

Yes, it would be less confusing if the concept of a penalty was included in the
JEDEC documentation, but in the negotiations folks were simply thinking in
terms of the final spec values, and not the math behind it.  So noone really
framed it or documenented the concept as a spec plus a penalty.  I just did
that myself as a way to make sense of it all, and explain it to people trying
to use the specs and derating tables. Some type of white paper might have been
a good idea back then.

Also note that the penalty is not part of derating process. Rather, its part of
the baseline specification definition, before derating is applied. This is why
its not shown in the derating formula you mentioned.  Deraing is done on the
final specs, after you establish tIS(AC) and tDS(AC).

As far as the JEDEC spec, and what Micron shows in their spec, the JEDEC spec
does not have an entry for timing penalty. So you can account for it in two
ways. You can leave tIS(Vref) the same, and add a note explaining that a
penalty is being added in the calculation fo tIS(AC), or you can add the
penalty to tIS(Vref). Either way the value for tIS(AC) ends up the same.
However, in my opinion, the specs at Vref must be constant. When you think
about it, why would the spec at Vref be different, based on which AC threshold
you choose to use. It does not make sense.  However, if there is no place to
capture a timing penalty as a separate entity, then the only way to make the
math come out right is to add the penalty to the spec at Vref. This is more of
a specsmanship issue however. It does not change anyone's timing results.

Now, having said all that with respect to tIS, in the case of tDS the penalty
was embedded in tDS(Vref). I would have prefered using the same penalty
concept, however, in this case the penalty is small, and there was only one AC
threshold for tDS. Unlike with tIS, it was not envisioned that people would
choose which AC threshold to use based on some timing trade off. So there was
no need to break out the penalty as a separate entity, or to publish two
versions of tDS(AC). So to avoid confusion the penalty was negotiated directly
into tDS(Vref). At least this was the case in the JEDEC spec. Not sure what
Micron ended up showing in their spec.

Lastly, you are right in that there is no penalty concept for tIH and tDH,
since the DC threshold is constant.

Brian Moran
Signaling Development Group
Client Platforms