[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 Clock differential signal termination

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "emcesd@xxxxxxx" <emcesd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:16:47 +0000

Tesla,

There is some confusion regarding the origin and rational of the AC termination
on DDR3 UDIMM and SODIMM Clock, but I can tell you that the dual Rtt termination
is preferred over the single 100 ohm resistor in that it provides common mode
termination.
The clock can pick up common mode noise on the MB and without the common mode
termination
you will see a significant increase in the VIX range, where VIX refers to the
crossing point.
The DDR3 SDRAMs are sensitive to VIX. At least the spec implies this by forcing
you to derate
timing at VIX values outside of Vref +/-150 mV I believe. Now the second part
of the question
is why AC termination, as opposed to just connecting the center-tap to Vtt. I
believe this
was done in order to isolate the Vtt rail from Clock switching noise, which
could have a
harmful effect on CTL and CMD voltage margins. Note that the cap connects to
Vdd.

If I were doing a memory down point to point interface, as you descrbe, I would
likely use
a pair of Rtt reistors to Vtt and not worry about the AC cap. This cap has a
negative
impact in that it requires a certain amount of settling time coming out of
sleep mode,
which can trip you up. I don't think the additional swicthing noise on Vtt is a
big issue,
unless you are really pushing your topology and speeds.

Brian Moran
Signaling Development Group
Client Platforms
Intel Corporation